Saturday 29 November 2014

Task 3a: Current Networks

What is Networking?
connect as or operate with a network.
-interact with others to exchange information and develop professional or social contacts. 

Nowadays there are loads of social media sites that people use for networking.  It is expanding more and more each year as technology becomes more advance.  I think it is a great way to keep in contact with people and are great for discussions.


I personally use Facebook and Twitter but I use them for different reasons.  Facebook I use for my fairly close friends who I don't talk to very often but still keep in contact with.  I also joined a group called "the hustle." This group is a great example of professional networking.  People in the industry would post information daily containing news of auditions, recommended photographers and even housing possibilities.  This group has been very useful to me as I have found auditions that I probably wouldn't have found anywhere else.  I use Facebook to post personal statues and photos which I know are only viewable to my friends. I like the group option that Facebook has as it connects people and allows them to discuss relevant topics which no one else can view.

I use Twitter as a promotion tool.  I have a soundcloud channel where I record myself singing and I post it on twitter so friends and members of the public can listen, like and comment on my channel.  I use twitter instead of Facebook as I feel it is more accessible and I can add hashtags and tagging so more people can search me.  However I do not put anything personal on twitter as I am aware that everyone can view it.  I also use twitter to follow casting directors and choreographers so that I am up to date on their latest shows.

The great things about these sites is that not only can we use them on our computer but also on our smart phones.  As the speed of technology is growing rapidly, the internet is getting more accessible which allows more people to get connected.

There are so many ways to get connected with people.  Face to face, email, phone/text, email, social media sites.  For me social media sites are so quick and easy to use but I wouldn't say its most effective and you never know when the person on the other end is going to reply.  I try and get to know as many people as I can as I believe this is the best way of finding out information.

I feel that there should be a website used for people in the performing arts industry.  This site can be used for discussions with people wanted to know more information about a job or  information about auditions.  I feel that this would also help with networking as more people with the same interests would talk and help each other.  There needs to be sub categories of different topics so that members can click on the topic and hopeful find or ask for information about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment